By Cowgirl Candace | Illustration by Kurt Guard
You wanna know something I’ve dealt with my entire editorial career? Being the first and only African-American in the corporate room. That’s been my professional life story for some time now, and I know a lot of you mavericks can relate.
The first time I actually realized I was the token brown girl in the building was in Sunday school. I grew up Catholic (an entirely different story in itself) and also represented one of two black families who attended the small-town cathedral. My journalism journey yielded similar results as the constant “first and only” black and black cowgirl in some instances.
Frustrated, I’ve always been comforted by the fact that I’m trailblazing in areas that can open doors for the next generation of African-American journalists and creatives, especially in some of the South’s most segregated industries. Looking back on it, my following career milestones are proof that blacks — in media or not — still have a lot of ground to cover in order to attain equality and a voice on the corporate scene; however, every victory still counts toward progression, right?
I’m the first-ever African-American to…
- Serve as assistant editor for national publication Boating World Magazine
- Serve as assistant editor to national custom publication MarineMax Lifestyles Magazine
- Serve as managing editor for national aviation publication AutoPILOT Magazine
- Serve as communications specialist for Georgia College & State University
- Win Georgia College & State University’s first-ever CASE special merit award in video script writing
- Serve as associate editor for community newspapers The Baldwin Bulletin and The Wilkinson County Post
- Win The Baldwin Bulletin’s first-ever newspaper awards since its inception
- Win first-place feature writing from the Georgia Press Association for The Baldwin Bulletin
- Win first-place hard news writing from the Georgia Press Association for The Wilkinson County Post
- Serve as editor for Columbus State University’s alumni magazine
- Win three consecutive CASE publication writing awards for Columbus State University
- Serve as U.S. correspondent for London’s Black Beauty & Hair Magazine
- Serve as a brand blogger for international brand Durango Boots
- Serve as a brand blogger for global brand Justin Boots
- Bring diversity in digital storytelling about modern, black cowhand culture in partnership with hospitality marketing organization Visit Fort Worth